Monday, August 31, 2009

Big, long vacation post Part 2

My computer seemed to be getting a little irritated with me, so I took a little break. On with the story...

The next day we went to Pikes Peak. We took a train ride to the top and the scenery and wildlife on the way up is unbelievable. I have been up in years past where it is 70 degrees when we board the train and snowing when we got to the top. This year the weather was about 51 degrees at the top and sunny and gorgeous. When you get to the top there is no barrier stopping you from falling down the mountain, so we had to keep the kids close. There is a large building where they make the best donuts you will ever eat with lots of other great food and souvenirs.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Big Boy looking out the window with Grandma:
Photobucket


An absolute first for my children- passed out and sleeping on the ride back down.
Photobucket
Photobucket


And on to the highlight of the trip, for the one and three year olds, that is...

The NORTH POLE. Yes, we visited Santa's house. This is a spectacular amusement park for children. It is set on a mountain so the surroundings are wonderful. There are hundreds of rides and the best part about it- the kids could go on every ride!! The only height restrictions they have require an adult to ride with the child, but my one year old was able to do every single thing! It makes for a great adventure and 6 hours of fun. And of course, the main attraction is going to see Santa in his house.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


You can't really see it in the picture, but this may be the only roller coaster you could ever ride on with llamas and reindeer a couple feet behind the ride. (Pat and Big Boy are riding with Sissy and Grandma behind them)

Photobucket


We visited Santa's house and it was magical. We were shocked when both of my children walked right up to Santa and hopped in his lap. Sissy took him the letter she wrote him and he looked at it and marveled at the picture she drew him. He was so great. As we were walking out the door Big Boy ran back in and kissed Santa on the arm!

Photobucket
Photobucket


The North Pole holds so many memories for me. I have gone there since I was a baby. I can't even describe the feeling of getting to share with my babies something that was part of my life when I was their age. I had so much fun taking my own kids there, and they rode the very rides that I did!

Me "driving" the car when I was a baby:
Photobucket


My daughter and son "driving" the car 29 years later!
Photobucket
Photobucket


Me riding on the carousel when I was little:

Photobucket

My son and daughter riding on the carousel 20 some years later!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Oh, and here is Sissy visiting and reading the Bible in Santa's chapel

Photobucket



We did several other fun things on our trip as well. We visited the local Manitou Springs Penny Arcade several times where we rode little rides and played skeeball and horse races. We also drove to Cripple Creek, a gambling and mining town where I played Black Jack forever and actually came out ahead! We played in the creek running by the cabin. It was a lot of fun.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


It was a great time. We will definitely be headed there next summer and every one after! There is so much to see and do up there and as the kids get older we will have many more activities to pursue. Lily keeps asking me when we are going back to the cabin, and I tell her "SOON!"

2 comments:

  1. So, when can we pay your family to stay there?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, look at Pat's beard:)
    I am so glad you guys had such a great time. Hopefully we will see you guys tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete