Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Thoughts on the upcoming 9/11

I wanted to write a September 11 post this year and I decided to do it a few days early. Big Boy has his birthday this week and we have a busy week ahead of us.



I have always felt very, very serious about September 11. I have a weird empathy about it, I just feel like it really could have been my husband, my parent, my friend working in one of those buildings. I watch the specials on it and I still cry every year when I think about the people lost- people at work, firefighters, police, bystanders, and the military persons we've lost since then. Those poor people on those planes. Maybe it's because we lived there?? I don't know. I felt so vulnerable whenever we rode on the subway or the train. I saw all the flowers at the empty WTC site, the memorials people laid with pictures. I saw the destruction on other surrounding buildings, buildings taken over by asbestos because of all the dust. I saw one of the oldest churches in this country that was saved only because of a huge tree that stood in front of it. Amazing.



Pat and I moved to New York almost 2 years after 9/11. We lived about 30 miles north of NYC. And even 2 years later I couldn't believe how affected people still were there and how deep their wounds ran, almost every person knows someone who died that day. I wanted to share one story in particular. When we moved, I had originally intended on using my degree and teaching in the elementary schools but NY had different requirements for teaching and I was short a couple of credits. Instead, I went on an interview to be a substitute teacher for the district.


I was interviewed by a lady who was very sweet, I have no idea what her name was but I will never forget the story she told me after the interview ended and we began talking more personally. Her husband was a NYC firefighter. As most people within a couple hours of the city do, he commuted into the city by train for his shifts. The Friday before the 11th she was looking at her calendar and saw that their 2 children had conflicting schedules on the 11th and that both parents would be needed to shuttle the kids. Her husband (who didn't like asking others to take his shifts) reluctantly agreed and got coverage that morning until 10, when he would arrive in the city to finish his shift.


He was dropping his son off when he heard about what was happening. He immediately rushed into the city by car- knowing that he was needed and wanting to be there for his fellow firefighters. He arrived to find his station empty, of course, they were all out helping and he went immediately to the site. He didn't get far because by this time the towers had collapsed. He did what he could, rescued people, provided medical aid and then went back to the station. They had lost 11 men at their fire station that day- only 7 of which were actually on duty and one of the men who died was the one who volunteered to cover the beginning of this man's shift.


This woman was so heartbroken because she lost her husband that day. Not in the physical sense, but mentally. She said he didn't sleep anymore. He had to quit his job, he could not function there any longer. He was in intense counseling but still stared blankly into space most of the time. The guilt he had over the loss of his friends and one that he felt died in his place was consuming and last I heard he was under suicide watch and not able to do much of anything.




Our friends in New York told us of the reminders they got every day about how many people had died. NY and Connecticut have huge 'park and ride' lots for people to commute to work and they told us that cars were left there for weeks- that normally empty lots at 9:00 at night had cars left there. One friend's husband was only miles from the city but on the other side of the water in New Jersey. Cell phones didn't work for days and she could not get ahold of her husband to make sure he wasn't in the city and that he was okay.



I try to always remember September 11 and use the day to be thankful for America and the troops that we have- because they are protecting us from more of what we saw that day. What amazing people and families who lay their lives on the line to keep my family safe. For the amazing men and women who rushed into those buildings knowing they may not come out. And for the current and previous administration's work to prevent another terrorist attack. I cannot imagine having another day like that in America, I cannot imagine more innocent lives being taken in such a manner. I will always remember September 11. I will always use it as a day to be grateful.


http://september11news.com/AttackImages.htm

5 comments:

  1. Very powerful stuff. I seriously cannot even begin to imagine how badly people are still affected from 9/11, you hear of all these awful stories, brave people and lost lives. It's horrible. When Nick and I went there in December we visited the site, it was very difficult to see. You're right, there is a reminder of 9/11 almost everywhere down there...lots of memorials, photos, and mementos. Thanks for posting that link too, I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I loooove your new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sherry!

    Saw an interesting piece tonight on the rebuilding- I had no idea how many new buildings were going up! Tall, tall buildings as well as the museum and water features.

    Check out:
    www.foxnews.com/freedom
    and look at the video on 'The Future of Ground Zero'. There is also a great story on the guy who was the window washer for the towers under 'Remembering the Victims'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said...

    My brother works with the government in DC and was supposed to have a meeting at the Pentagon on 9/11 at noon, only a few hours after one of the terrorist planes hit the Pentagon. It's crazy how this hits so close to home for so many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alyssa, that was a well-written and moving piece. Thanks for writing what still needs to be said.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete