Wednesday, September 22, 2010

He said, she said

Big Boy shows little interest in anything having to do with sitting. He enjoys books but writing or drawing bores him easily. At KDO last year every paper he brought home would have, like, one mark on it. As teachers, this is the kind of kid you set rules in place for like 1)you have to make at least 4 B's on the line or 2)you have to use at least 3 colors in the picture. Because if you don't give them requirements they will do the very least before moving on to something else. Typical boy, seen 'em tons of times in my life.

So last night I was very surprised when Big Boy came in with a picture he had doodled.
"Look momma, a fwa-mingo!"
Photobucket
Photobucket
Having seen him draw very little in his life, I immediately clapped my hands and made the biggest deal ever over it. What talent. He caught on, of course, to my pleasure and proceeded to go in the other room and color until he came up with something good. He'd make a little mark that looked familiar and run into me "Momma, a 4! A 4! Take a picture!" Well, the batteries were dead in my camera but he wanted a picture of every one- so I held my camera up and faked it. He was so proud.

This morning, combing Sissy's hair for school:
"Mom, do you think our new baby is going to be a boy or a girl?"

me: "Who said we are having another baby? Have you told people we are having a baby?"

Sissy: "No, but T and I are getting old. We're old kids now. You and Daddy are old. We need somebody little again."

Rather than encourage this conversation, I let it go. Took her to school, picked her up. She was eating lunch and said to me:
"Mommy, you need to say you're sorry to me for telling me we aren't having another baby. That wasn't nice and you shouldn't have said it."

I let that go, too but what I really wanted to say was "Sis, when you want to stop fighting with your brother all day long, go back to 3 hour naps everyday, and get a part-time job then we can have another baby." :)

Poor thing. A little girl in her class just got a new baby brother this past week and Sissy has had babies all around her lately. At ballet two of my mommy friends have beautiful little babies they bring and I think Sissy is jealous that other kids have babies- and not just any babies- SISTERS! Hopefully she gets off my back for awhile and if she does happen to tell you we are having a baby- it is an adorable little lie that she has made up in her head!

3 comments:

  1. I was also thinking it was about time for you to have a new baby, I'd say it's your turn! ha! T and Ethan are two peas in a pod when it comes to drawing or coloring, lasts a whole 3 seconds. Awesome flamingo, it really looks like one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHA- time for a new one! Spoken by the wisest...

    Great flamingo, by the way. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sis on this one. You need another baby! Think about all those adorable little shoes at Gymboree! Aren't they just calling your name yet?? :)

    ReplyDelete