Tuesday, March 22, 2011

upTates

(Thanks for the title Heather!)

This is Big Boy today.
Photobucket

This is him week before last. He fell down and skinned his head- and we thought this was a bad injury.
Photobucket

Cut to Thursday night, St. Patrick's Day. So much for the luck of the Irish! He had had a great last day of school before Spring Break and had spent all afternoon outside. While waiting for Daddy to come home we went back outside and he got on the trampoline. 2 seconds later- he was lying down on it and not getting up.

I asked him what was wrong and he said that he couldn't get up. I hopped on and carried him off. At first I wasn't sure what was wrong- I felt his arm and one just felt like it had a bump on it. I carried him over to my chair and sat down and by then I could see the bump from the bone sticking up.

I called Pat in a PANIC. Thank you Jesus, he was already on his way home. I didn't really know what to do. Big Boy wasn't even crying. He was whining, but not in tears. When Pat got home he told me we needed to go to the ER immediately. By that time the pain starting kicking in and T was complaining that he was "tired" and he "wanted to sleep with mommy and daddy". I think he was a little delirious. I called our pediatrician's office and they said that their x-ray person was gone and to go to the ER. I gave that nurse and ear full, let me tell you.

So off we went. By the time we got there Big Boy was in good spirits again. Walked right in. They took x-rays and he didn't even flinch. Never complained the whole time. They put a temporary cast and sling on him. He walked out waving to everyone and smiling.
Photobucket
Relaxing when we got home...
Photobucket

The weather was too nice to hold this kid inside. We made several Target runs to let him look at toys and I looked for excuses to get him out of the house without having too much activity. On Saturday we just had to get him outside. He was totally unaffected by his disability.
Photobucket

Monday we headed to the orthopedist. This is him running around in circles in the office.
Photobucket
And thinking he was hilarious.
Photobucket

The doctor gave me some stern lectures- on trampolines and on keeping T still for 4 weeks. Really?!?! I was a bit irritated with the doctor. I thought Big Boy was an ideal patient. The doctor was pushing all over his broken arm and making him do all sorts of things and he never complained. However, when the nurse came in to get him for the cast the doctor said "he is a talker, not a listener." Thanks jackass! I suppose he would rather him be screaming crying than explaining all the cool things Buzz Lightyear can do.

The nurses, on the other hand, were very impressed. They thought he was so fun and there were 4 of them all in talking to him while he got his cast. They called him "the happiest broken arm they've ever seen".
Photobucket
Ice cream afterwards...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I am oh so very proud of Big Boy. In some cases it may be a bad thing that he does not complain or acknowledge his cast, but I think it is cool. He does everything as he normally would, sleeps perfect, and just generally deals with it!

DIAGNOSIS: Broke two bones in his forearm. The cast stays on for 4 weeks. In a normal child, the doctor said it would be 3 but Big Boy is "too active for 3 weeks". We go back in a month to take it off and have xrays. Potentially bad news: bones heal aggressively in kids this young and sometimes the two bones will grow back together as one bone instead of seperately. If that happens, he'll have to have surgery.

So that's his story! It is hard to keep him down but we're giving it our best shot! :)


Disclaimer: Everyone (especially at school) keeps asking how this happened. Long story short- yes, we have a net on our trampoline. He did not fall off. He was bouncing, by himself, jumped and just landed the wrong way. He was not being crazy, he was not misusing it. The trampoline is now for sale. After having 7 nurses tell me how bad they are and after seeing how easily this can happen...it will be gone asap.

4 comments:

  1. Awww, bless both your hearts!! What a big boy, indeed! I would have been screaming and crying like a little baby.

    He looks very handsome in his cast, though I hope he gets it off very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Alyssa!! I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about all of this. What a trooper! I guess if he was going to hurt himself, he did it the best way possible and handled it better than any parent could ask for, you've definitely got a very special little boy. :) I can't help but smile at each one of his pictures, his happiness is contagious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Alyssa! I would have freaked just by seeing the bone "bump" alone! I can't believe he is smiling after all of that. He is a trooper!! Hoping he doesn't have to have surgery and that he heals quickly! I liked trampolines, but now I know why not to buy one. BTW, that Doctor sounds like a total ass! I would've been upset too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tate, Tate, Tate...

    What are we going to do with you?

    Yeah, totally tell Dr. Jackass where to shove it next time. Sounds like he was a dream come true in the office. Don't beat yourself up over the whole situation. Yes, trampolines carry risk, but you guys were using it in the safest way possible, and I think we can all agree that it could have happened to any one of us! Everyone's a critic until something unfortunate happens in their family, you know?

    Anyway, good luck keeping him calm & still. You'll definitely deserve a medal (or a margarita) after these four weeks!

    ReplyDelete