Thursday, March 25, 2010

Basketball blogging

I should be blogging about our Spring Break. Or the fact that we have a $3000 pipe problem lurking under our home right now. Or that I'm back on my exercise plan after being sick for weeks.

But all I want to do is talk about basketball today because my beloved Wildcats are playing in the Sweet 16 tonight!
Photobucket
Photobucket

I'll back up a little. I lived most of my life in Manhattan, Kansas and attended many Kansas State basketball games as a child AND graduated from the university. One of my best friends as a child was the daughter of KSU's coach so I got to attend some fun things with her. My family held season tickets to the football games when hardly anyone else did- you could walk around the bleachers and sit wherever you wanted. I have always loved and supported KSU.

But sometime in high school, after moving to Wichita, I got in with a bad crowd of KU fans and starting paying attention to KU
basketball. And I fell in love. Mainly with Kirk Hinrich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IroDbPpwlM
And my friends and family were humiliated and many to this day will still disown me when I cheer for KU. I have a very weird and very competitive feel for basketball- I played it most of my life. I got a technical foul in my first varsity game. I was very passionate about the game. So I developed a connection with KU basketball and have forever loved it.
Cut to last weekend- number one overall seeded Kansas fell. If you were living within 2 blocks of my house you heard me screaming. The kids were shuffled away behind closed doors so that I could express myself fully. Oh yeah, I get like that. And I got teary. I will hold hope for next year.

However, I still have one of my teams in- my wonderful Wildcats. Although my college friends tell me that I cannot root for both, I am absolutely sick right now with anticipation over tonight. I'm so nervous, you'd think I was playing. I hope the Cats kick some a$$. I hope they keep advancing throughout the tournament. And I hope I don't keep my neighbors awake screaming tonight when they play! Photobucket



2 comments:

  1. VICTORY!!! We won in double overtime. And I'm absolutely positive our neighbors could hear Pat and I screaming at the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure they could hear you yelling at 11 pm:) What a fun/ scary game to watch!!!
    Let's hope for another victory today!

    ReplyDelete